Monday, November 4, 2013

Book Review: Samantha Shannon's The Bone Season

          Samantha Shannon, author of The Bone Season, has been rumored to be the next J.K. Rowling. Having never read a Harry Potter book to date, I can’t provide any guidance on those reports. (Please no haters…it is on my to-read list…I did watch all the movies if that earns me any points back) I can tell you it did remind me of a darker Eragon…without the dragons of course.
          Gaining major hype on this young author’s book, here are some things to keep in mind. 1st it is important to find the glossary provided at the back of the book before you start reading. And it is highly suggested for you to find this information prior to reaching the last three chapters of the book. It will save you precious brain cells! Trust me.
          The 2nd valuable info: the map and charts at the beginning of the book will NOT be useful until you get a good portion into the story. So no matter how many times you flip from your reading to these awesome extras, they will not be very helpful until later.
          Point #3: The front informational blurb on the inside cover is ever so slightly…misleading. No, it does not lie, but has left out a key ‘player’. This book has some major things with spirits going on. And I did not get that from reading the blurb.
         The start of the book was a tad slow and a bit of an ‘informational dump’ but once I got to the forth chapter she hooked me. (Even with all those spirits…not a big fan of those kind of stories.) My favorite part of the book is the “golden strand”. I think she gave a classic foreshadowing theme a nice twist. Two thumbs! The middle does drag on for a couple chapters as the main character struggles to get what the reader has already figured out by this point.
        But I will give Ms. Shannon praise for leaving enough loops and intertwining characters for me to see this easily being created into a seven book series. She has also satisfied this reader with a complete ending while leaving me wanting to see what happens next.
        Honestly, if I would have known about all the spirits and such, I would not have started this series. And I will not be recommending this to too many CF readers. However…with that being said, I will be reading the next book in this series! I enjoyed the flow of her words, even though she did have an occasional curse word. (Yes, I prefer every book I read NOT to have such words) The sexual content is mild and the fighting content is slightly above mild. I didn’t find myself having to reread any of her sentences to see what in the world she might be saying, a major plus! Except a few times, for example if she was trying to tell me a shoe was red, she would go a little over board in trying to tell me something so simple.
        Overall I give The Bone Season: 4 out of 5 stars. And would recommend it to most readers ages 15 and up.
       This was my first fiction book review. I'd love to hear what you think...leave me a comment...please!
With love and prayers,
Megan Besing

No comments:

Post a Comment